Occupational Therapy is an essential element in the rehabilitation of patients following an illness, operation or disability. This may cause people to experience difficulties with performing everyday activities. Occupational Therapists can help maximise your independence to manage the activities that are important to you.
Our Occupational Therapy Department provides a comprehensive service to hospital inpatients as well as domiciliary visits.
The department is staffed by state registered Occupational Therapists who specialises in neurological rehabilitation, palliative care, orthopaedics, general medicine, general surgery and dementia.
Services available: The Occupational Therapy Department at the Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth provides a wide range of assessments and treatments:
- Facilitation of a safe discharge home
- Assessment and treatment of functional difficulties
- Domiciliary visits
- Advice on home modification
- Advice on and prescription of adaptive equipment
- Teaching of alternative of compensatory techniques
- Advice and education about specific care needs and how to arrange increased support at home
- Specialist seating assessments
- Wheelchair assessments
- Falls management programme
- Neurological assessments
- Manual handling advice