Working in close association with the Breast Unit, the Imaging Unit is committed to providing rapid access to investigations that aid diagnosis and treatment of breast symptoms.
We offer the following services for both routine screening and symptomatic patients:
- Full Field Digital Mammography
- Breast Ultrasound
- Fine Needle Aspiration & Core Biopsy
- Stereotactic Localisation
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Computed Tomography Scanning (CT)
- Our Full-Field Digital Mammography system offers our patients shorter examination times, lower radiation doses, and excellent image quality. There is also significant improvement in patient comfort as compression times are kept to an absolute minimum.
- Self referral mammography is available for women over the age of 40 who have no obvious breast problems and have not had mammography within the past 12 months. N.B. Women noticing a lump or any breast changes are advised to see their GP or contact The Breast Unit on: 02072664272 or 02078074000 ext: 4439
- Ultrasound is widely used in the assessment of breast conditions. It is recognised to be the better examination for younger women. Our high resolution colour doppler ultrasound scanner is used for detailed examinations of specific breast abnormalities and as guidance for core biopsy and fine needle aspiration of breast abnormalities.
- Breast MRI is a recognised diagnostic investigation for specific breast pathologies, and where clinically indicated is undertaken on either our 1.5 or 3T MRI scanner.
- Our multi-slice Toshiba Acquilion One Genesis Edition CT Scanner completes the compressive range of imaging equipment supporting the Breast Unit.
- During our Breast Imaging Clinics, Consultant Radiologists with specialist expertise in breast imaging are available to report mammograms and perform ultrasound examinations.
- All breast screening mammograms are double read/ or -(read by 2 breast radiologists) in line with national guidelines. You will be notified of your results within 3 working days.
- Our team of Mammographers are state-registered radiographers with specialist post-graduate training in breast imaging.
- We hope to give you most of your results on the day of your appointment. However, sometimes we need more time to analyse the tests and you maybe asked to come back to the clinic in one week for your results.
- All breast screening mammograms are double read/ or – (read by 2 breast radiologists) in line with national guidelines. You will be notified of your results within 3 working days.
- Core Biopsy test analysis is a longer process and the results are never available on the same day. Patients will be advised of when their results will be available before they leave the Unit.
How to Access Breast Imaging
- Patients attending the Breast Unit will be referred for any necessary breast imaging by the Consultant Breast Surgeon.
- Women with breast lumps or breast changes (symptomatic) will need to see a Breast Consultant before accessing breast imaging. Appointments to see the Breast Consultant can easily be arranged through the Breast Unit who also welcome direct ‘self referral’ for urgent conditions. Imaging is available at the same appointment day so that there is no delay in getting results.
- Self referral screening mammography is available to women over the age of 40, who have no obvious breast symptoms, have not had mammography within the past 12 months and are registered with a GP (see above). N.B. Women noticing a lump or any breast changes are advised to see their GP or contact The Breast Unit on: on: 02072664272 or 02078074000 ext: 4439
- To arrange an appointment, telephone the Imaging Department on 020 7806 4030